Tuesday, August 26, 2008

July Update!!!




In the Crysis Magazine (www.crysismagazine.com) the calendar issue my sponsors Alternative Surf and VIPER fins advertised in the month of July and used a shot that my friend (www.bendecamp.com) shot while we were hanging out in Mexico for a month.
On July 11th I went down to T-Street to help out with the Aloha Beach Camp to tell the kids about ocean safety, showing them how to do manuvers on a bodyboard, and just have fun in the water with them. I also got to speak about the Alternative Surfs VIB card (very important bodyboard card that has Spencer Skipper on them) and to make sure they buy all there bodyboarding stuff there. There were about 250 kids, it was a really really long day but extremely fun. I got there at 9am and didnt leave till about 5pm. I got to sign posters, give loads of stickers out and a few shirts. The kids were hilarious and by the end of the day when there parents came to pick them up they just talked about how they wanted to be Pro bodyboarders and stuff! It was sooo rad!
On July 26th my shaper Jimmy Linvelle through a underground contest which was a total blast. The whole idea was sweet. Pretty much if you won your heat you won cash right then and there. If you got 2nd you won cash and advanced and 3rd place won some money and free food. Everyone that did it was just having a good time. My friend Kim leng from LONG BEACH did his first event and even though he didnt advance he still won some money that he spend on candy and had a good time just surfing and meeting new people. Also seal beach shop grom Raymond who is only 12years old did his first event! It was cool being in the water with him and coaching him in his heat, he busted a sweet spin and a pretty big roll. He lost his heat put still won some cash along with a box of pizza with his name on it! Definetley look out for this kid in the future! If he follows in his dads footsteps which I think he will things will be looking bright for the grom. The waves were fun like 3-4ft and I had a heat with my friend nick statom. I have only seen him ride bigger waves in Puerto Escondido and in some bodyboarding videos but when he put on that Jersey man he became a new rider just killing it! It really got me pumped to try my best. We both made it to the final and decided it was on haha It was a really close heat and not to many sets. But in the end I wounded up winning the event and took home $100 and a case a beer which I donated to some guy haha I hope nick comes out to more events and wows some of the competitiors, just like he did at this last PIPE event! Also he has a website so check it out www.rookiesusa.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home