Thursday, August 26, 2010

Q & A with Cali Groms: Part 2 Ryan and Ryley Colle go to Nicaragua

The Colle brothers are some of the most amped bodyboard kids I have EVER met in my life! They got to go to Nicaragua this summer and get there boogie froth on like no ones business! Just by reading there interview you can tell how siked they are always. Both of them are doing really well in the contest, surfing bigger waves and traveling. As brothers they are very competitive and pushing each others riding every day. Keep your eye out for the Colle brothers!

How old are you?
-Ryan- just turned 18 a little over a week ago!
-Ryley- Just turned 18

Where are you from and where do you usually boogie?

-Ryan- I live in Dana Point, CA, so I'm always bodyboarding around Salt Creek and Strands. All the kids I know that boogie around there seriously kill it!

-Ryley- I am from Dana Point, California. I usually boogie at Creek and Strands, and a T Street session every once in a while is also a must.

What are the pros and cons of being brother, traveling, competing and bodyboarding together?

-Ryan- It definetly feels pretty cool to have a brother who likes to do the same things I do. When it comes to traveling it's always awesome to know that you would have a friend who would go to new places with you and is always down to check new spots. Having someone to bodyboard and compete with all the time helps us both to push ourselves and progress! I Can't really think of any cons but if there are we may tend to burn each other out in the water every once in awhile maybe hehe.

-Ryley- The pros of being brothers is that we are always with each other and always have someone to be with. We both push each other and help each other with tricks. I could also imagine traveling alone could be kind of scary too, so thats also a plus . If there's any cons, its that we are known to get in a few scruffs now and then, hahaha.

Was Nicaragua your first time out of the country? If so what did you think about the place?
-Ryan- Yes! Nicaragua was my first bodyboard trip out of the country,such awesome times! Pretty much the place is nuts!! We stayed at a place called the Popoyo Surf Lodge, which was located in some crazy rainforest, jungle. The waves were unbelieveable though, and the water was a crazy 87 degrees! The first couple days we surfed such a fun wedge and had so much fun! We also scored some sick reefs and awesome beach breaks, longest barrels ever! The houses around the area are just pretty much shacks made of scrap metal, monkeys hanging in the trees, and pigs, cows, and skinny dogs roaming around the bumpy dirt roads. Like i said the place is nuts haha, we had such an epic time!
-
Ryley- Nicaragua was the first time out of the country for a surf trip, and it was soooo epic. Just thinking back to our trip is making me amped! The place has every kind of wave possible, its like a surfing amusement park! There's wedges, reefs, empty peeling point breaks, slabs, and flawless beach breaks. The place is too sick!

How long was your trip for? Did you feel it was to short or to long of a trip or just right?
-Ryan- Our Nicaragua trip lasted 8 days. The waves we were getting every day in Nicaragua were so epic compared to what we would have gotten back in California, so for just getting over a week of such awesome waves was a blessing! I think it would be awesome to have a month long surf trip sometime soon!
-Ryley- The trip was for 8 days and I was super bummed to leave. It would have been awesome to stay a week or two longer, especially now I know what I'm in for. My friend that went with us brought a whole suitcase full of beef jerkey and snacks, and that was definitely the right idea! Overall, I wish I could have stayed longer, but it always feels good to get back home.

What was the best part of your trip?

-Ryan- Hands down. The best part of the surf trip was taking the boats to different spots you weren't able to drive to. Basically we drive the boats to the spots, jump out of the boat and just surf for the longest time, to the point where my legs and arms felt like noodles. Then paddle back to the boat and eat a quick lunch and some tasty bannana bread, jump out, and surf another solid session.

-Ryley- The best part of the trip was taking out the boat and scoring a session at this long left reef break. It wasn't very hollow or anything, but it was so much fun because it was only us out. Not much more to ask for when its just your friends out on a good one foot overhead beautiful day, with the longest lefts! Amping thinking about it!

What was the food like? Did you try anything new that you haven’t eaten before?
-Ryan- The chef at the Popoyo Surf Lodge seriously could be a world class chef in my opinion! Pretty much all the meals consisted of either fish, chicken, beef, or pork, prepared in all different ways, always served with a side of rice and beans, plantains or bananas, and fresh green vegetables. Best fish I have ever had for sure! The best was our $10 Lobster buffet though!
- Ryley- The food was amazing! By far the best meals I ever ever had! If I had to choose my favorite meal, it would be the incredible lobster buffet we had. There was rice and pasta with lobster, lobster stew, fresh ceviche, fresh fish, fried fish, grilled lobster prepared three different ways, and all of the other sides. It was a feast!

Where would you like to go on your next bodyboard trip?

-Ryan- INDO!!!!!!! Mentawai Islands of Indonesia or Bali would most definetly blow my mind!! There is no doubt I'll be going there in the near future! Of course a trip to Australia is manditory too haha!
-Ryley- Indo for sure! It would be a dream to go to Bali or anywhere in Indo, it would be epic!

Any last words, shout outs or encouragement to all the young kids coming up?

-Ryan- First I just want to thank you Jeremy for the support, It's people like you that really pump up and motivate young bodyboarders! I already see such young kids just killing it out in the water so all I have to say is never stop bodyboarding and just keep the positivity high! A positive attitude is the key to progress your bodyboarding. Compete in some competitions too! Bodyboarding has helped me meet so many amazing people and awesome friends that have helped make my life so great and it will for you guys too. I love bodyboarding yewww!
-Ryley- To the groms, just keep bodyboarding! Live positively and pursue what you want. Don't get down on one bad session or a bad day, just stick with it. Get in the water on the small days, those are usually the best to practice the basic tricks anyway! And just have fun! Thanks to Jeremy for the support and for giving me the opportunity to share my trip. Lastly, I am so grateful to be a bodyboarder and to have made so many friends bodyboarding! Bodyboarding rocks!

Colle brothers ripping below
Ryley

Invert

Barrel

Reverse

Forward in the barrel

Local food

Photos below are of Ryan Colle

Rolling

Sick barrel

Invert boost

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home